Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Shoveling Snow

The first snow day of the school year, and it felt good. I hope you enjoy the dramatic background music, and feel free to add one yourself.
Friday can't come soon enough. I haven't hung out with two of my good friends in a while and we are finally going to! They both have been busy with the play, You Can't Take It With You, which was very good. The message of the play was a nice reminder of how meaningless some things are. It's dumb to stress over things that shouldn't matter. What's really important is your loved ones and the things that truly make you happy, but, we all know that.
Shoveling snow is one of my favorite things once I get started. At first I'm cold, but the harder I work the warmer I get. That will make a fine metaphor someday.
I'm nervous about putting Philip Glass' work on my blog (it's the music playing right now, unless you paused it.) You know how like, some music you find really effects you, and becomes something very personal? So if you tell someone about it, the second you hear them talking about the music makes you angry for a split second. It's like they're spilling one of your secrets, even though everyone deserves the experience. Philip Glass is like that, a treasure that I have kept secret from the rest of my world (by that I mean I've never told anyone about his magical work.) I've literally spent hours lying in bed listening to him play the piano, and made up a small story (small film) in my head that corresponds. But because this blog is also a personal thing, Philip Glass is the only thing that would fit. I might as well tell everyone that my favorite piece by him is Mad Rush. It actually made me cry the first time I heard.
I feel strangely centered right now, which is why I feel comfortable saying all of this. Also I'm listening to Philip Glass.
...When I first really listened to Mad Rush, I was lying in my bed with my earphones on. I pictured my family and what it would be like if one of them died. I went through all of them and had a very small taste of how I would really feel. Even though I've grown really distant from them all, spending most of my time in my room, I've been closer to them all ever since. It's like that song represents the repressed love I have for my family. So it's hard to share. Actually, I didn't even put it on this play list. I didn't intend on letting it out at all. But this blog is good, and is really coming from my heart so everything stays. I hope you all will listen to it in your bed with your eyes closed and focus completely on what you see. Maybe it's because I'm a visual person, but when I listen to music I see things. The music inspires a visual interpretation. They're not always deep, or sad. Sometimes it's something really simple. I can't explain them because I don't know how to accurately.
I think that's why I need music to make art. Anyone from an art class of mine could tell you that I get nothing done in the classroom.
Taking a break from smoking pot is the best decision ever. This is how I really should be all the time. My head is cleared. I'm happier. Not that I wasn't happy.
Also, I want to apologize to someone. I did something very selfish to this person without even realizing it. Sometimes I don't think about how my actions can really effect others. It's something I will never forget.
The song of the blog is obvious.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

1 comment: